Monday, April 18, 2011

Soupy Chinese Goodness at the "Soup Master" - Tang Shifu (汤师父) in 1Utama

Lack of updates last few days! I had two of my wisdom teeth extracted over the weekend - top was a straight extraction but bottom was impacted (i.e. growing sideways), so it needed a MOS (Minor Oral Surgery) and 3 stitches. So I wasn't really in the mood for blogging. Or doing *anything* for that matter. Don't worry though I won't give you any details or pictures, because those made even me light-headed when I saw them.

Luckily I didn't choose medicine as a career path. First patient into the emergency ward with an even slightly bloody injury and I'd be passed out on the floor :)

Ahem! Went to watch HOP (The Movie) with the gang. It sucks. Don't watch. We decide to go to a new (to us) place for dinner - Tang Shifu (汤师父)


The menu is predominantly different types of soup, and noodles in soup/broth. Lots of the items on the menu are full of different types of Chinese herbs, and if you're looking to improve your health, many of the soups have descriptions as to which ailments they fix. If soup isn't your thing they have some 'big fry' (大炒) type dishes, too.

Like this Steamed Cod Fish with Dried Scallops and Bei Qi (MYR25.90). The cod was nicely steamed and sweet, but the taste of the bei qi and the other herbs had only partially infused into the gravy. Possibly because of our suspicion that the cod fish is pre-steamed and not steamed upon ordering. Oh, and the slices are rather small - about 3.5" by 2.5" by 0.3" thick.


Since this is the so-called 'soup master' we also have to try a soup - we settle for the Dang Gui Replenishing Soup (MYR15.90), which was okay, but not outstanding. The soup had nice herby flavours without being too 'bitter' from overboiling.


If you're not interested in dishes + rice you can go for one of their many 'set meals' (which is basically a soupy noodle with some side dishes). The Mee Suah with Dried Scallop and Abalone Slices (MYR17.90) was okay. I'm not a big fan of mee suah though. Growing up, my mum would always cook it for me when I was sick, so along the years it's evolved in my mind as a "sick person's food." :P


The Mee Suah with Herbs and Rice Wine (MYR15.90) apparently did not have a strong enough rice wine base/content. Of course, both the ladies who provided judgement come from a kaki botol Hakka-cooking background, so your mileage may vary :)


Overall, the food was decent and reasonably priced. However to call themselves the 'soup masters' may perhaps be stretching the truth a little bit. Tang Shifu is located in 1Utama new wing, near Cold Storage and opposite the New York New York Deli.

1 comment:

  1. Nice soups.. but I guess it can never beat those cooked at home yea?

    ReplyDelete