Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Hippocampe - Flic en Flac, Mauritius

I'm back in KL for Christmas and New Year! Woo hoo! Main purpose, of course, is to eat eat eat. And then eat some more! In the meantime, though, I've got a bunch of backlogged restaurants from Mauritius that I haven't blogged on yet. Figure I'd better clear them off before I totally forget about them, ha ha.

So well, the darling and I took a trip to Hippocampe over at Flic en Flac for dinner. And not just any dinner, if memory serves me correctly, it was my birthday dinner, hehe. (die la ... barely one month ago and I can't remember clearly already). According to TripAdvisor this is the second best restaurant in Flic en Flac (only losing out to the wonderful Domaine Anna), so we came with high expectations.


Like all good restaurants, we're served with assorted bread, and some plain salted butter. The bread has been warmed up, which is a pretty nice touch.


For starters we share the assorted samosas. They come on a plate of three assorted ones. Two of them were delicius with a nice combination of meat, veg and spices, but the third was a bit weird - had a kind of mustardy taste, which didn't suit my taste buds at all.


We also shared the deep fried chili salt squid. These weren't too bad either, nicely battered, and tasted extremely similar to those Taiwanese-style salt-and-pepper deep fried meats. Squid itself was also fresh and tender.


Unfortunately the main courses went a little downhill. My Lamb Daube (lamb stew, basically) was kind of nice, but nothing special. The dish had a rather strong tomato-ey flavor, and the lamb meat itself was a tad bit on the tough side.


The darling's gourmet burger was even worse. Other than the slightly eccentric choice of ingredients (a slice of radish? and no cheese?), the patty itself was bland and dry, despite being requested medium. In fact, I would go so far as to say that I'd rather have a Big Mac over eating this burger again.


Forgot to keep the receipt, or jot down the prices, haha ... =[ ... but I do recall they were somewhat high-moderate. Shame then, that the mains were a bit of a let down - because the service and appetizers were great. I hear that the desserts are to die for - if you're willing to give it a shot, Hippocampe is just behind the SPAR supermarket in Flic en Flac.

3 comments:

  1. Mauritius does not only have lovely sceneries and beaches but also tasty foods! I can't wait for my upcoming visit at Best Mauritius Hotels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this Hippocampe restaurant before. Is it new in Flic-en-Flac? The food looks good. I'll have to try this place someday =)

    ReplyDelete