Everyone also knows that each You Zha Gui/You Tiao nowadays can cost from RM0.70 to RM1.20 depending on the place and stall you purchase from! It’s easy to make & also extremely low cost. Not forgetting there are rumours that the stall would deep fry again & again with the same oil all day and just add fresh new oil if the oil is running low which would be actually unhealthy, with this it would better to have your own HOMEMADE You Zha Gui/You Tiao.
Here is what you need to prepare, it only cost a few dollars but you can make tons of it!
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
3.5 teaspoons Salt
1.25 cup water (Room Temperature)
Oil for deep frying
1. Mix all-purpose flour, baking soda & baking powder. Sieve them together into a mixing bowl to have fewer lumps when knead later.
2. Add Salt into the water & stir it until it dissolve.
3. Pour the salt water into the mixing bowl and knead the dough until it become elastic, should be firm enough to handle, and no lumps. If the dough is too wet & soft, add more flour. The kneading need not take longer then 2 or 3 mins.
4. Transfer the dough into a new bowl covered with a cold wet towel and let it sit for at least 4hours to up to 8hours at room temperature.
5. Prepare a wok of medium heated oil.
6. Sprinkle some flour on a flat surface best is near the stove. Scoop out some dough and rollout into 4 inches rectangular shape.
7. Use a back of a knife/cleaver to cut the dough into 1 inch wide strip.
8. Place 2 strips together, press down at the middle of the dough with a chopstick.
9. Slightly stretch the dough before dropping it into hot oil.
10. Deep fry till the You Zha Gui/You Tiao turns puffy and golden in colour.
11. Repeat step 6 to 10 with remaining strips.
Suggestion to place You Zha Gui/You Tiao on a paper to absorb the oil while it sits there to rest & cool.
It can be eaten by itself, or with all these suggestions that i have been eating since young~ milo, coffee, soya bean, and porridge!
Click here for our blog page Breakfast, Desserts, & Snacks Ideas for more recipes. Hope you will be inspired~