Espresso Cake Ingredients
6 teaspoons of Instant Coffee
60ml Hot Water
315g Cake Flour
10g Cocoa Powder
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
0.5 teaspoon Sea Salt
250g Fine Sugar
0.5 cup Sour Cream
1. Pre-heat the oven to 160ºC.
2. Dissolve the Instant Coffee in Hot Water, stir in the Water and set aside to cool.
3. Sift Cake Flour, Cocoa Powder, Baking Soda. Add Sea Salt in mix up the ingredients and set aside.
4. Place the butter and Sugar in the mixer and cream until smooth and light in color. This will take approx 8 to 10minutes.
5. Add in the Eggs one at a time with 1 min intervals.
6. Blend in the Sour Cream.
7. Divide the dry ingredients in to 3 parts and divide the espresso into 2 parts.
8. Add in the dry ingredients alternating mix until incorporated then alternating with the espresso.
9. Spray a baking pan. Pour in the batter and smooth the surface with the spatula.
10. Position the baking pan in the lower third of the oven and bake it for 50mins or until when you insert a cake tester in the middle it comes out clean.
11. Remove from oven but do not remove from pan and cool in the tray while you prepare the Kahlua Syrup.
Kahlua Syrup Ingredients
3 tablespoons Honey
12. In a small pan blend Kahlua, Water, and Honey. Bring it to a slow simmer 2 to 3 minutes then remove from heat.
13. Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC, top only.
14. Feed the Espresso Cake by using a spoon and slowly pour over the top of the warm cake.
15. After feeding, let it stand in the pan for at least 1 hour to allow the cake to absorb the Kahlua Syrup.
16. Place the feed cake back in the oven for 3 to 5mins to dry up the top which is wet from the feeding.
17. Remove from oven and let it cool in the tray for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Storage: Store at room tempreature in an airtight container or cake dome for up to 7days.
Click here for our blog page Baking Classes for more recipes. Hope you will be inspired~